About Filing Taxes
  • June 14, 2022
  • admin
  • 0

Discharging tax obligations remains important even in the event of a taxpayer’s death. The task falls to the administrator of the estate to make sure that they have crossed every t and dotted every i in line with the tax code. It is always advisable to consult a reputable IRS tax attorney when handling the tax affairs of a deceased person. In this blog, we are going to take a closer look at all you need to know about filing taxes for a deceased person.

IRS’ stance on taxes for deceased people

Let’s be clear about one thing. The IRS never cancels tax debts even if a person succumbs to death. IRS penalties and interest can continue to accrue on unfiled returns even after a person dies. If you are in charge of a deceased person’s estate, you need to file taxes on their behalf. Both the IRS and the respective state taxing agencies will hold you accountable for filing and paying the taxes on time. You should file taxes similarly to how the deceased person would have done. That means filing both state and federal taxes for the year of death. Generally, as an estate representative, you will need to file the IRS Form 1040. You should accurately report all income up to the date of the person’s death. If you think the task is too complicated, hiring a Dallas – Fort Worth tax attorney gives you access to the best help.

Related Blog Post: 5 Common FAQs About IRS Office Of Appeals

What if the deceased person owed taxes?

If a recently deceased family member owed taxes before their death, you must pay the outstanding balance immediately. The consequences of not paying or filing federal and state taxes do not evaporate just because a person has died. If the taxes are not paid in full, the IRS, along with the respective state taxing authorities may collect the dues from the deceased person’s estate. In many cases, the IRS will even attach an estate lien to the deceased’s property.

Related Blog Post: Appeals: The Gateway to Resolving IRS Tax Disputes

How long can you keep a deceased person’s tax records?

As a rule of thumb, the minimum amount of time that you should keep a deceased person’s tax records is three years. In most cases, returns going back three years are subject to audits. However, it might also happen that the IRS decides to go as far back as six years when auditing a deceased person’s past returns. This is why you should get hold of all tax records belonging to the deceased person for at least a seven-year span.

Final word

You must file and pay taxes for a deceased person on time and abide by the tax code in all respects to avoid an IRS tax investigation or harsh penalties on the estate. IRS tax attorneys in Dallas – Fort Worth, TX are always available to help when handling a deceased person’s taxes to avoid mistakes and get a speedy IRS problem resolution. The Law Offices of Nick Nemeth has a team of highly experienced tax attorneys in Dallas – Fort Worth, TX, that work with individuals and organizations looking for reliable tax help in Dallas – Fort Worth and surrounding areas. To schedule an appointment, call (972) 426-2553 or fill out our Contact Form.

Please follow and like us:

What Our Clients Have to Say

Susan WilsonSusan Wilson
03:27 25 Jan 23
I have been very pleased with the solid counsel and guidance that Nick Nemeth has provided me regarding my tax issue. I found him to be honest and straightforward which I appreciated. I was impressed with his relevant experience and knowledge . He has definitely brought me peace of mind during a difficult and stressful time.
Sarah HowardSarah Howard
03:44 14 Nov 22
I would like to thank Mr. Nick and his staff for the superb help that I received from them. My IRS problem was resolved quickly and efficiently. It took 2 visits to convince me that I was over my head. I thought that I could call the IRS, appeal my tax notices and settle on a payment plan on my own. After many phone calls to the IRS, waiting sometimes more than 4 hours with no resolution to speak of, it proved to be extremely difficult and stressful. Revisiting Mr. Nick was a huge wake up call. My account was reviewed, and a payment plan was established with the IRS within a week. I will be forever grateful to the staff who worked on my case and especially to Lorna who listened to me vent while going through this painful process.
00:33 07 Aug 22
I cannot say enough good things about Nick and his team. When I first met with Nick he was up front, honest, friendly and efficient. When I worked with one of his attorneys, Eric B, I was just as pleased. All of the staff there are nice and very helpful. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get help with my issue. Over 6yrs I tried getting through and getting anywhere with the IRS and hardly made any progress. I know this may not be the case for all, and even I thought it would take longer than it did, but 3mos and they had my situation straightened out. I still can't believe it. Thank you thank you THANK YOU for all that you did for me. This is a huge burden gone out of my life now thanks to you. If anyone needs help out there, I know you may not want to shell out more money to get their help but it may just save you in the long run.
Spoilly GirlSpoilly Girl
23:49 03 Aug 22
The Nemeth Law team is exceptional. They treat their clients like a family member who is in crisis. They want you to get the best possible outcome. I really appreciate everything that they did for me. Jake and Ashley had the greatest role in my case and it all turned out for the best for me. Thank you Nick and team for easing my fears and getting me through the long process. I'm truly grateful.
Eddie WaltEddie Walt
19:44 12 Jul 22
During a time in which competent, professional service at a fair price seems to have disappeared, Mr. Nemeth and his team are a refreshing breath of fresh air.From my first phone call to the final settlement of our case with a non-responsive IRS, they under-promised, over-delivered and were in constant courteous contact to make sure we knew exactly what was happening and where we stood.I hope to never need their services again, but, should I receive another friendly letter from the IRS...I know who to call!
Quick Inquiry


    Enter the text you see above