Easy and Effective Tips for Taxpayers Facing IRS Tax Problems

Tips for IRS Tax Problems with NIck Nemeth

Receiving a letter from the IRS that says you owe them money even when you have cleared your dues can ruin your day. Every year several taxpayers face IRS problems like this, and the worst part is that most of them are clueless about what to do. This lack of knowledge combined with the fear of the IRS, often leads to a situation where the taxpayer ends up committing mistakes that worsen the case. In such situations, the key to solving the dispute is to stay calm and seek help of a professional. If you have been facing an IRS problem, do not panic. Simply follow the tips mentioned in this post, and trust us ‘things will get better.’

Open and Read the Letter Immediately

As soon as you receive any notice from the IRS, make sure you read the letter immediately. Many people dread opening and reading a notice that they receive from IRS. Delaying reading the letter may do more harm than good as you may miss out some important dates and incur more penalties. It is not always the case that you may have some dues, there may just be some mistakes that you can rectify without any delay.

Call the IRS if You Have Any Confusion

Read the letter carefully and if you have any confusion, do not hesitate to give a call to the IRS. Getting in touch with the IRS is the best way to resolve any kind of dispute. Letters from the IRS are quite long which make it difficult to comprehend it. Calling will end the suspense and give you peace of mind. If you are not confident about handling a tax problem on your own, hire a tax attorney.

Check if You Actually Owe Money

If you receive a letter from the IRS, do not panic. Do not even immediately pay the amount mentioned. Check to see if the IRS made any mistake in calculating the amount that you owe. There are instances when the IRS makes mistakes in calculating the amount of tax you owe. You can also seek the help of a professional if you find it difficult to figure out the the correct tax amount due.

Know your Rights

As a taxpayer, you have a right to privacy, right to pay the amount actually owed by you, right to hire professional service. You also have the right to be represented by counsel of your choice such as a CPA or an attorney. You can also get help from Taxpayer Advocate Service. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can also ask the Appeals Office or Court to hear your case. There are many options so make sure you find out which is best for you.

Last Few Words

Those were some of the useful tips taxpayers should follow if they receive any letter from the IRS. If you have been facing an IRS tax problem that you have not been able to get a grip on, we at The Law office of Nick Nemeth in Dallas can help you with your IRS problem. Our tax attorneys have handled thousands of IRS cases and have an in-depth understanding of how the IRS operates. To get in touch for a free consultation, call our office at (972) 426-2553.

Rate this post