• September 27, 2016
  • admin
  • 0

Your home is one of your biggest investments, and it’s natural for you to expect a sizeable return if you decide to sell the property. You’ll, however, be expected to file returns on the capital gains that accrue, which can be an anticlimax of sorts. If you’re ready to scan through the law books or are open to hiring the services of an experienced attorney such as the Law Offices of Nick Nemeth, there are more than one ways to save taxes on capital gains, provisioned in Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code. The blog enumerates some such measures and their qualification pre-conditions.

1. Sale of the Taxpayer’s Primary Residence

The IRS doesn’t tax capital gains of up to $250,000 you may realize from the sale of your primary residence. All you need to do to claim this benefit is fill the Form 1099-S, ‘Proceeds from Real Estate Transactions’ (used to report sales exceeding the exclusion limit) and fulfill the following criteria:

  • The house must be your primary residence, and you can claim a benefit only if you’ve been using the residence for the past couple of years out of the last 5 years before the date of sale
  • The house was not received as an exchange for other property (a like kind exchange) neither as a gift from a person who got the ownership under a like kind arrangement
  • You haven’t claimed the benefit in the past 2 years
  • You are exempt from the expatriate tax

If you’re using an undeveloped land as a part of your residence, you can claim an exemption for both the land as well as the house collectively subject to the condition that you’re selling both the properties within a 2-year period.

Additionally, married couples can claim up to a benefit of $500,000 ($250,000 each)  subject to the following conditions:

  • Both the partners must be filing jointly
  • Either of the partners has been an owner for at least 5 years
  • The house has been a principal residence for at least two years for both the partners
  • Neither of the partners has filed for an exemption within two years from the date of sale of the primary residence

2. Availing Prorated Exclusion

Under normal circumstances, you can claim an exclusion only if you have been living in the primary residence for at least 2 years. There are, however, some exceptions to this rule. You may claim also a benefit on a pro-rata basis. If, for instance, you are an individual taxpayer, have used the house for a year, and need to sell it for any of the reasons “qualified” by the IRS, you’ll be eligible to claim a 50 percent benefit (of up to $125,000). Let’s take a look at the “qualified” reasons.

Change of Employment

You’ll be eligible to file an exemption if your new job location is 50 miles (or more) further than the old one from your primary residence – subject to its condition, at the time of job change. Unemployed taxpayers can also qualify if they secure a job 50 miles away from the residence.

Must Read: 5 Must-Know Facts about Unemployment Benefits

Health Issues

You can file for an exemption if you had to sell the house to relocate to an alternate residence to address your or a close relative’s health issues.

Must Read: Individual Shared Responsibility Provision and Income Tax Return: An Overview

Unforeseen Circumstances

You also gain exemptions in cases of unplanned circumstances, such as damage due to disasters (or death), divorce, legal separation, or a change of employment, which may change your financial condition, therefore making it difficult for you to maintain the house.

3. Using a Part of Your Residence for Business Purposes

The above rules also apply to any part of the house you’ve been using for business purposes. The Revenue Code, however, doesn’t allow any benefits for depreciation the taxpayer may have claimed after May 6, 1997. For example, if you sold your house for $100,000 and reported a depreciation of  $5,000, only $95,000 would qualify for exemption. The taxpayer, in such cases, need to report the depreciation on Form 1040 (Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses) as an unrecaptured gain, which is a taxable component.

Additionally, if you decide to sell a house you converted into a rental property, the capital gains would be calculated on adjusted tax basis, at the time of sale (if you make a profit). If you end up with a loss, the basis for calculation would be the lower of the property’s adjusted tax basis* and FMV** (fair market value), at the time of conversion.

*adjusted tax basis: The value arrived by deducting depreciation till date from the asset’s value at the time of sale. Suppose you buy a car for $20,000 that has a life of 10 years and a depreciation rate of 10 percent every year. If you decide to sell the car at the end of the sixth year, the adjusted tax basis would be $20,000- $12,000 ($2,000×6)= $8,000 (the amount taxable).

**FMV: The market value of a property or the price that a seller is ready to pay when the property is transferred under fair conditions, that is both the buyer and seller are under no pressure to settle for the said price and ample time has been provided for the transition to take place.

Exemption to Non-qualified Use

If you’re not using the property as your primary residence, it will be termed as “non-qualified use”, and you may not be able to file for exemptions. There are, however, some exceptions to this rule, too.

  • The applicable period (for calculating the capital gains) was before 2009
  • Any period (must not exceed five years prior to the date of sale) from the last date you used the property as your primary residence
  • Failing to use the property as a primary residence for 2 years or less due to illness, change of employment, or unavoidable circumstances
  • Absence of 10 years or less due to extension of official duty as a member of the Armed Forces, Foreign Services, or an intelligence community

Final Words

These are some broad clauses under which taxpayers can avail primary home exclusion for capital gains. To learn more about such measures and ensure you get the maximum possible benefits, speak with one of the IRS tax consultants, at the Law Offices of Nick Nemeth. Our lawyers possess an in-depth understanding of IRS tax laws, garnered through extensive experience in helping clients in diverse IRS taxation related issues and concerns. Simply call (972) 426-2553 or fill out our contact form and we’ll get back to you, shortly.

Please follow and like us:

What Our Clients Have to Say

Brent VahleBrent Vahle
19:13 02 May 24
I called to see if they could help reduce some penalties and fees. The person I spoke with told me it might be counterproductive for them to take my case since their feels would likely equal the amount of penalty/interest abatement. I decided to pass on moving forward but was so happy to hear a legal team, or any business for that matter, who has that much integrity. I feel most others would likely try to take my money anyway. I hope I never have to go through this again, but if I do, I will definitely use the Law Offices of Nick Nemeth!
Jason WinkleJason Winkle
18:44 02 May 24
Jaime Flores was very friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. She gave me some very valuable information which helped guide me with a plan of action. The free consultation is very much appreciated.
Matthew SwigartMatthew Swigart
12:14 02 May 24
Great attorney who was able to provide quick and useful advice. Although my situation did not warrant their services, they still took the time to discuss solutions I could explore. I highly recommend visiting this office!
Tony PantojaTony Pantoja
12:57 09 Apr 24
Very professional and very knowledgeable, Jamie Flores was very straight forward and professional, a firm that doesn’t just take your money, Thanks
Carla AtwalCarla Atwal
10:52 02 Apr 24
Nick was wonderful in guiding me with direction on some tax questions I had. He was concise, and to the point, and was happy to provide general info to me at no charge. I truly appreciate him and would highly recommend him.
Miguel AlvaradoMiguel Alvarado
15:56 25 Mar 24
By far the best attorneys I have ever worked with. They’re are very helpful and supportive from day one. They went above and beyond to make sure all my documents were submitted on time and gave updates as soon as they received them. I cannot name a single flaw in their work. Their team of assistants are very professional and seem to all be on the same page. I’ve made multiple phone calls and sent a ton of emails to their staff and they were able to help me all through the course of the case. I cannot express my gratitude enough for how excellent they handled my case.
Lucy FoyLucy Foy
06:55 19 Jan 24
My first appointment I had with, Tax Attorney Nick Nemeth, gave me such a sense of relief. He listened and gave me his professional advice, Mr Nemeth took my case. I was well kept updated, by phone calls and letters. That really impressed me and gave me so much confidence in them. The case went on for a couple of months. The day I received the call from one of his team members Kyle, informing me that the case was resolved and that I owed absolutely nothing to the IRS, I was overwhelmed with joy. I would recommend this law firm to anyone that needs help, with any tax issue. Thank you, to the Law Firm of Attorney Nick Nemeth and his team.
Bradley RunyonBradley Runyon
20:17 13 Jan 24
I received a tax bill in the mail from the IRS last year in 2023. The fees and penalties I owed were something I myself could not afford. I reached out to Nick Nemeth's firm and received the best experience you could imagine. The team was professional, educational, and fast. If you have a tax issue with the IRS using another firm other than Nick Nemeth's would be an error in judgment. I would recommend their services above others.
Sue HulsemanSue Hulseman
19:55 11 Jan 24
Working with Nick Nemeth and his team to resolve my debt with the IRS was the best decision I could have made. I felt such relief knowing I didn’t have to deal with the IRS myself. They did a wonderful job and were responsive to my questions and kept me abreast of my case. My outcome was exactly what I was hoping for. I strongly recommend using them if you have an issue to resolve with the IRS.
20:53 21 Dec 23
I had an incompetent tax preparer, who also ignored several notices from the IRS, which in the end resulted in a lien on my property. I did not know what to do and an attorney friend recommended that I contact the Nick Nemeth Law Offices. I met with Jamie Flores and Ivan Nalbantov in December 2021 for a free consultation, and right away was impressed by their thorough examination of my paperwork and extensive knowledge of IRS tax laws. I felt not pressured and appreciated their advice and in the end decided that I would pursue resolving the issue by myself. I paid the IRS Civil Penalty and, as recommended also submitted a letter to the IRS requesting a refund and explaining what happened. I am glad to report that my persistence finally paid off. My case took two years to resolve and I finally received a full abatement/refund check from the IRS in December 2023. I could not have done this without the straightforward recommendation of Jamie and Ivan; and I highly recommend the Nick Nemeth Law Offices to anyone needing help with the IRS.
Susan WilsonSusan Wilson
03:27 25 Jan 23
I have been very pleased with the solid counsel and guidance that Nick Nemeth has provided me regarding my tax issue. I found him to be honest and straightforward which I appreciated. I was impressed with his relevant experience and knowledge . He has definitely brought me peace of mind during a difficult and stressful time.
Sarah HowardSarah Howard
03:44 14 Nov 22
I would like to thank Mr. Nick and his staff for the superb help that I received from them. My IRS problem was resolved quickly and efficiently. It took 2 visits to convince me that I was over my head. I thought that I could call the IRS, appeal my tax notices and settle on a payment plan on my own. After many phone calls to the IRS, waiting sometimes more than 4 hours with no resolution to speak of, it proved to be extremely difficult and stressful. Revisiting Mr. Nick was a huge wake up call. My account was reviewed, and a payment plan was established with the IRS within a week. I will be forever grateful to the staff who worked on my case and especially to Lorna who listened to me vent while going through this painful process.
00:33 07 Aug 22
I cannot say enough good things about Nick and his team. When I first met with Nick he was up front, honest, friendly and efficient. When I worked with one of his attorneys, Eric B, I was just as pleased. All of the staff there are nice and very helpful. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get help with my issue. Over 6yrs I tried getting through and getting anywhere with the IRS and hardly made any progress. I know this may not be the case for all, and even I thought it would take longer than it did, but 3mos and they had my situation straightened out. I still can't believe it. Thank you thank you THANK YOU for all that you did for me. This is a huge burden gone out of my life now thanks to you. If anyone needs help out there, I know you may not want to shell out more money to get their help but it may just save you in the long run.
Spoilly GirlSpoilly Girl
23:49 03 Aug 22
The Nemeth Law team is exceptional. They treat their clients like a family member who is in crisis. They want you to get the best possible outcome. I really appreciate everything that they did for me. Jake and Ashley had the greatest role in my case and it all turned out for the best for me. Thank you Nick and team for easing my fears and getting me through the long process. I'm truly grateful.
Eddie WaltEddie Walt
19:44 12 Jul 22
During a time in which competent, professional service at a fair price seems to have disappeared, Mr. Nemeth and his team are a refreshing breath of fresh air.From my first phone call to the final settlement of our case with a non-responsive IRS, they under-promised, over-delivered and were in constant courteous contact to make sure we knew exactly what was happening and where we stood.I hope to never need their services again, but, should I receive another friendly letter from the IRS...I know who to call!
Quick Inquiry


    Enter the text you see above